Flavors and Fragrances : chemistry, bioprocessing and sustainability berger, ralf günter (ed.)
Flavors and Fragrances : chemistry, bioprocessing and sustainability berger, ralf günter (ed.) 1st edition.
Hardcover edition 2007, 2007, xvi,
648 pages. 236 illus., 5 in color.,
Flavours and Fragrances is an introduction to aroma chemicals, essential oils, fragrances and flavour compositions for the food, cosmetics and pharmaceutical industry.
The present state-of-the-art technology, the future use of resources and biotechnological approaches for the production of the respective chemical compounds are described.
A large section is devoted to the description of the renewable resources of flavours: spice plants, fruits from moderate to tropical climates, vegetables, fermented and heated plants.
Analytical methods, such as gas chromatography coupled to human or electronic noses or to a mass spectrometer, are outlined and consumer trends, legal and safety aspects are described.
- The flavour and fragrance industry�past, present and future
- Flavours: the legal framework
- Olfaction, where nutrition, memory and immunity intersect
- Chemistry of essential oils
- Bioactivity of essential oils and their components
- Citrus flavour
- Fruits and vegetables of moderate climate
- Tropical fruit flavour
- Flavour of spirit drinks: raw materials, fermentation, distillation, and ageing
- Wine aroma
- The Maillard Reaction: source of flavour in thermally processed foods
- Chemical conversions of natural precursors
- Industrial quality control
- Advanced instrumental analysis and electronic noses
- Gas chromatography-olfactometry of aroma compounds
- Enantioselective and isotope analysis�key steps to flavour authentication
- Flavour-isolation techniques
- Aroma recovery by organophilic pervaporation
- Encapsulation of fragrances and flavours: a way to control odour and aroma in consumer products
- Creation and production of liquid and dry flavours
- Enzymes and flavour biotechnology
- Microbial flavour production
- Microbial processes
- The production of flavours by plant cell cultures
- Genetic engineering of plants and microbial cells for flavour production