Bioactive Compounds from Natural Sources, Second Edition: Natural Products as Lead Compounds in Drug Discovery
- Emphasizes the applications of synthetic and medicinal chemistry to the preparation of analogs with enhanced activities
- Covers a large array of natural products that show promising activity against a variety of pathologies
- Discusses important families or properties of bioactive natural products, synthesis of analogues, biological evaluation of both natural and synthetic products, and structure-activity relationship studies
- Accessible to readers without a high-level background in chemistry and pharmacology
The first edition of Bioactive Compounds from Natural Sources was published in a period of renewed attention to biologically active compounds of natural origin. This trend has continued and intensified—natural products are again under the spotlight, in particular for their possible pharmacological applications. Largely focusing on natural products as lead compounds in drug discovery, Bioactive Compounds from Natural Sources, Second Edition: Natural Products as Lead Compounds in Drug Discovery is actually a completely new volume containing surveys of selected recent advances in an interdisciplinary area covering chemistry of natural products, medicinal chemistry, biochemistry, and other related topics.
Written by some of the most reputed scientists in the field, this second edition includes new chapters from authors who contributed to the first edition as well as many chapters compiled by new authors. Introducing the reader to strategies and methods in the search for bioactive natural products, this book covers topics including:
- Natural sources of bioactive compounds such as aquatic cyanobacteria, filamentous fungi, and tropical plants,
- The tremendous potentiality of metabolic engineering of natural products biosynthesis
- The contribution of emerging or developing technologies to the study of bioactive natural compounds, namely computational methods and circular dichroism
- The potential of natural or natural-derived compounds for specific therapeutic applications: treatment of viral diseases, regulation of hypoxia-inducible factor, antimalarials, modulation of angiogenesis, and antitumor and wound-healing activity
- Selected examples of natural product families and related synthetic analogues, namely polyphenols and campthotecins
Compiled for researchers and Ph.D. students working in interdisciplinary fields, this book will also be appreciated by readers without a background in chemistry interested in bioactive natural products, their biological and pharmacological properties, and their possible use as chemopreventive or chemotherapeutic agents. Conversely, the biological and pharmacological data and methods are accessible by chemists.
Table of Contents
Strategies and Methods for a Sustainable Search for Bioactive Compounds; Lars Bohlin, Cecilia Alsmark, Ulf Göransson, Mattias Klum, Christina Wedén, Anders Backlund
Discovery of Potential Anticancer Agents from Aquatic Cyanobacteria, Filamentous Fungi, and Tropical Plants; Jimmy Orjala, Nicholas H. Oberlies, Cedric J. Pearce, Steven M. Swanson and A. Douglas Kinghorn
Metabolic Engineering of Natural Product Biosynthesis; Xinkai Xie, Kangjian Qiao and Yi Tang
Computational Approaches for the Discovery of Natural Lead Structures; Judith M. Rollinger and Gerhard Wolber
Recent Advances in the Application of Electronic Circular Dichroism for Studies of Bioactive Natural Products; Nina Berova, George Ellestad, Koji Nakanishi, and Nobuyuki Harada
Natural Products as Treatments for and Leads to Active Compounds in Viral Diseases; David J. Newman and Gordon M. Cragg
Natural Products as Inhibitors of Hypoxia-Inducible Factor-1 (HIF-1); Dale G. Nagle and Yu-Dong Zhou
From Antitumor or Wound Healing Actions of Natural Products through Angiogenesis; Yoshiyuki Kimura
From Natural Polyphenols to Synthetic Antitumor Agents; Carmela Spatafora and Corrado Tringali
Resveratrol against Major Pathologies: From Diet Prevention to Possible Alternative Chemotherapies with New Structural Analogues; Norbert Latruffe, Dominique Delmas, Gérard Lizard, Corrado Tringali,
Carmela Spatafora, Dominique Vervandier-Fasseur, Philippe Meunier
Drug Discovery from Natural Substances—A Case Study: Camptothecins; Gabriele Fontana and Lucio Merlini
Plant Compounds and Derivatives as Inhibitors of Cancer Cell Multidrug Resistance; Virginia Lanzotti, Orazio Taglialatela-Scafati, Ernesto Fattorusso and Attilio Di Pietro
Recent Advances in the Search of Novel Calmodulin Inhibitors from Selected Mexican Plants and Fungi; Rachel Mata, Mario Figueroa, Isabel Rivero-Cruz and Martín González-Andrade
Neuroprotective Effects of Natural Products from Traditional Chinese Herbs; Hai Yan Zhang, Xi Can Tang
Drugs for the Neglected Disease Malaria based on Natural Products; S. Brøgger Christensen and Ib Christian Bygbjerg
Endophytic Microorganisms as a Source of Bioactive Compounds; Yoshihito Shiono and Ken-ichi Kimura
Biologically Active Natural Products from Australian Marine Organisms; Robert J. Capon
A Practical Guide to Assay Devel...
A Textbook of Modern Toxicology,...
Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient...
Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient...
Advanced Distillation Technologi...
Aesthetics Exposed: Mastering Sk...
- Architecture & Construction Management Books
- Biochemistry, Bioengineering and Biotechnology Books
- Books on Analytical Techniques, GC MS, LC, TLC, HPLC, NMR Spectroscopy
- Books on Water and Wastewater Treatment, Analysis Water Treatment Plants
- Chemical Technology, Organic Chemistry, Chemical Synthesis and Chemical Analysis Books
- Cosmetics Science, Cosmetics Formulations, Manufacture and their Analysis Books
- Drugs and Pharma Science Books
- Essential Oils, their Analysis, Natural Products Extraction, Distillation , Isolates Related Books
- Flavor Science, Flavor Analysis, Flavor Creation, Food Flavors Books
- Food Science and Technology, Baking , Food Ingredients , Food Quality , Food Regulations
- Formulations of Perfumes for Agarbatti, Air Freshners, Soaps & Detergents, Fabric Softeners , French style Perfumes, Attars , OUD, Fine Fragrances
- Fragrances, Scents, Attars , Perfumery and Aroma Chemicals Books
- Herbal, Ayurvedic, Medicinal Plants and Aromatic Plants Books
- Law Books
- Major Reference Works (MRWS) Sets - MultiVolume Sets
- Medical Books
- Medical Journals Wolters Kluwer | Medknow India
- NEW ARRIVALS
- Perfumer's Resources
- Special Indian Reprint !
- VILLAGE COTTAGE : Scents and Soaps - Luxury Bathing Soaps